* Vigyan Setu Foundation team would like to take this opportunity to convey our special thanks to our star Zoonosis Ambassador Ms Simeen Rumani for the interesting infographics that have been used all through this presentation.*
In the year 1921, Canadian Physician Frederick Banting and medical scientist Charles Best discovered the hormone Insulin in pancreatic extracts of dogs. By the end of that year, they with the help of Canadian biochemist James Collip and Scottish Biochemist and Physiologist John James Macleod purified insulin. In 1923, Banting and Macleod shared the Nobel Prize for Physiology and Medicine for their work, as discoverers of Insulin.
World Diabetes Day celebrated on 14th November marks the birthday of Sir Frederick Banting.
The theme of World Diabetes Day 2020 is The Nurse and Diabetes. The campaign aims to raise awareness around the crucial role that nurses play in supporting people living with diabetes.
As the number of people with diabetes continues to rise across the world, the role of nurses and other health professional support staff is becoming increasingly important in managing the impact of the condition. Nurses are often the first and sometimes only health professional that a person interacts with and so the quality of their initial assessment, care and treatment is vital.
Diabetes is one of the fastest growing health challenges of the 21st century, with the number of adults living with diabetes having more than tripled over the past 20 years.
Eating a healthy balanced diet and maintaining, or obtaining, a healthy weight is an important step in managing diabetes and reducing the risk of developing other illnesses, such as heart disease. In addition to a healthy balanced diet, attending doctor may prescribe tablets and/or insulin to help control blood glucose levels.
- Eating regular meals
- Including starchy carbohydrates with each meal
- Eating more pulses
- Aiming for 2-3 portions of fruit and at least 3 portions of vegetables and salad every day
- Cutting down on sugary foods and drinks
- Eating less fatty foods
- Reducing the amount of salt added to the food
- Aiming for 30 minutes of physical activity each day
Vigyan Setu Foundation hopes that you shall join hands to help spread the message to your loved ones and connections.